The purpose of this design brief is to provide the information needed for the design team in for them to satisfy the client’s request. Additional information will be given in this brief with regards to the design, the performance requirements, the materials, equipment, the limitations and the management decisions.
Apple is the world’s most valuable company and like any company, the customer service is very important to the customers. Apple has therefore decided to build a 10 storey office block in the southern end of the Tyne bridge in Newcastle. The office block will serve as a means of to increase the customer service satisfactory level from Apple customers in the United Kingdom by proving a call centre to help Apple product users with technical issues through phone calls.
The building will be built using reinforced concrete. The building will be an office block consisting of 10 floors above the ground. A ground floor with nine upper floors and 2 basement levels in order to provide parking spaces for the employees. The building is set to have a width of 55 metres (m) a length of 35m and a height of 45m. The building will be built with the intent of being a green building in order to be environmentally friendly and have an efficient use of energy, water and other resources. An example would be having a rooftop solar system. This will be greatly beneficial since it is infinitely renewable and it can work throughout the entire year when positioned at the correct angle in order to function during rain, wind or snow. The building will also use insulated glass and walls to reduce energy use and utility costs. Another approach to reducing energy would be capitalising on the technology provided by smart building. Small things such as motion sensor lights, heating systems along with computers and monitors shutting down at the end of the day would greatly increase the sustainability of the building.
The preliminary design idea:
· Reception area
· Break room
· Meeting / conference room
· The head manager’s office
· Break room
· Janitor room
· Storage room
· 40 officer per floor for regular employees
· Manager’s office
· Printing area (for printing, photocopying and
· Small lounge
· Storage room
· Janitor room
The basements for parking:
· A parking gate that only opens upon showing an employee ID
Management structure for construction:
The purpose of a management structure is to assist Apple before and throughout the construction process financially and for the construction work. This is achieved by allocating delegated responsibilities by defining an organisational structure.
· Project manager: The project manager will represent the client (Apple). They are influential to the building as they are responsible for the project management on a day to day basis.
· The project sponsor: The project sponsor will be assigned by Apple. They are responsible for the allocation of resources.
· Client champions: Client Champions are responsible for the design quality
· Consultant team: This team will be made up of an architect, civil engineer, cost consultant, structural engineer, environmental consultant and a structural engineer. Their purpose is to prepare the product information and provide professional advice with regards to setting up and defining the project.
· Bitumen: For the parking spaces.
· Aggregates: Used to provide subbase support under concrete slabs, underground drainage, the foundation and as a fill around the pipes.
· Reinforced concrete: For the basement, the foundation of the building, ceiling, raft slab, columns and in staircases.
· Cement (Type 1 normal Portland cement and/or white Portland cement): Foundation and architectural effects.
· Clean water: To make sure salt and other materials don’t have any consequences when mixing concrete.
· Mixed concrete: To be used in walls.
· Aluminium: For the air conditioning system, windows and automatic sliding doors.
· Copper: Water distribution, flashing and electrical wiring.
· Brass: Hardware in doors and windows and for grilles.
· Bronze: Ornamental architectural products.
· Steel: Reinforce concrete and for decorative purposes.
· Ceramic tiles: Will be used for walls and floors.
· Mosaic tiles: Bathroom walls.
· Float glass: These will be used to separate offices and as glass wall windows.
· Plastic: Countertops in kitchens and wall surfaces.
Tools, machines and software and safety equipment that are to be used:
· Measuring box
· Earth rammer
· Concrete mixer
· Wheel barrow
· Drill (preferably cordless)
· Circular saw
· Hand saw
· Concrete vibrator
· Masonry towel
· Plump bob
· Framing square
· Line level
· Sand screening machine
· Measurement tape
· Head pan
· Framing hammer
· Torpedo level
· Jack plane
· Digging bar
· Tile cutters
· Putty knife
· Vacuum blower
Machines in construction can be divided into four main sections.
Material handling equipment:
· Suspended platforms
Earth moving equipment:
· Backhoe loaders
· Dump trucks
· Skid Steer loaders
· Motor graders
· Crawler loaders
· Hot mix plants
· Road rollers
· Heavy duty pumps
· Stone crushers
· Spraying and plastering machines
· Handling and tunnelling equipment
· Slurry seal machines
· Concrete mixers
Useful software to consider:
· Deltek Ajera
· Spectrum Construction Software
· Sage 300 construction
· High visibility vests
· Hard hats
· Safety gloves
· Safety boots
· Safety glasses
· Sound proof ear muffs
· Safety masks
This brief will examine three main categories of limitations.
A 10 storey building can be achieved in 12 months and therefore Apple has set out a deadline for the construction to be done in no more than 14 months. The construction will be monitored on a regular basis on many things in order to make sure that they do not exceed certain timescales. It is common for a contractor to be responsible for any faults that may occur and therefore they will have something known as a ‘defects liability period’ which is a period that is outlined prior to the construction in order to not exceed the assigned time limit for the construction of the building. Time will also be one of the things that will be overseen by the project manager that was mentioned under the section ‘management structure for construction’. Both the project manager and the contractor will co-ordinate their efforts to ensure that the time limit is not exceeded.
The most common way to ensure that there are no shortcomings in resources is by having a resource management plan which is outlining the resources that are required for the project. The resource management plan will be an effective approach to optimise cost, effort and time due to resolving any possible resource conflicts by ensuring the resource availability.
Precautions must be taken in order to make allowance for any potential fault that may occur. This can be achieved by making a contingency plan to address any possible issues that may arise. The contingency plan may include the following:
· Costs: Adding 15%-20% to the total cost estimate in order have funds readily available whenever a financial issue arises.
· Non delivery of materials: This can be avoided by having the majority of the materials pre ordered.
· Shortage of water or power supply: This may be evaded by duplicating the supply and the provision of standby generators.
Based on the design brief above, it would seem that the content would be sufficient to achieve the client’s goals. The brief has clearly laid out the client’s intent for having a call centre and hopefully, the design of the building will meet Apple’s demands. The brief has gone into detail on the design of the building which will be made out to look modern due to the outer walls being mainly enclosed by float glass and the fact that it was designed as a green building will also benefit Apple with public relations. Furthermore, the brief also outlined the management structure and discussed the limitations which will ensure financial stability, sustainability and efficient use of time and energy. Moreover, the brief has outlined all the necessary tools, equipment, machine and software needed to construct the building along with the materials that are to be used along with their purpose in the construction. As a final note, I firmly believe that the project will be achievable with the 14 month time limit considering the many precautions that are taken prior to the construction.